Photo: © Fort Delaware
Fort Delaware is a substantial fort constructed in the mid 1850s on Pea Patch Island, Delaware. The impressive stone structure is approached via a walkway over a moat.
Access to Pea Patch Island and the fort is strictly by ferry only – from 45 Clinton Street in Delaware City.
From the Fort Delaware website:
The State of Delaware deeded Pea Patch Island, located in the Delaware River between Delaware and New Jersey, to the U.S. government in 1813, and construction of Fort Delaware was completed around 1859.
Originally built to protect the ports of Wilmington and Philadelphia, Pea Patch Island also became a Union prison camp during the Civil War, housing up to as many as 12,595 Confederate prisoners of war at one time. Manned only briefly during World Wars I and II, the island and fort were finally abandoned and declared surplus property in 1944, when ownership was transferred back to the State of Delaware. Fort Delaware became a state park in 1951.
Today, costumed interpreters take you back to the summer of 1864 — tour the parade ground, officers' quarters, barracks, kitchen, blacksmith shop and ordnance room, hear stories of great escapes, and watch as the Fort's Columbiad cannon fires a live gunpowder charge! Engage with fort historians dressed in period clothing, and hear stories of those who lived at the fort in 1864. Fort Delaware is well-known for “ghostly” activity and has been featured on Ghost Hunters and other television shows. Paranormal tours are offered in the fall”.
45 Clinton St, Delaware City, DE 19706, United States
Searles Castle, Great Barrington, Massachusetts is a chateau-esque stone mansion built in the late 19th century.
The Castle at Maryvale (also Wickcliffe Castle) in Lutherville, Maryland is a wedding venue which principally serves as part of […]
Castle San Miguel, Hanceville, Alabama is an impressive medieval style castle housing the gift shop for the Shrine of the […]
Soderstrom Castle, Peoria Heights, Illinois is a landmark, chateau-like private residence owned by Dr. Carl W. Soderstrom